- Defining the types of businesses and industry best suited to Smithville and where they should be located
- Considering the extent to which Smithville should prioritize Tourism as an economic driver and where it would be best suited
- Exploration of how to leverage Kansas City airport redevelopment as an economic driver for the Smithville
The Business and Economic Development Task Force works on integrating the strategic pillar, ‘Strengthen business and economic development’ into the comprehensive planning process.
Task Force members have been actively engaged in discussion topics on the project portal and are exploring specific land use development options in the 169 Industrial Character Area through a detailed online survey. Additional work includes:
- Considering to what extent the City should prescribe or regulate the types of businesses and industry permitted to locate in Smithville
- Exploration of ways that Smithville can create gateways into city areas to better define their character and use